Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/canadian/public_html/frontend/canadian_kiosk/templates/listing/kiosk2.php on line 304
Founded in 2001, Ottawa Riverkeeper is a grassroots charity formed to protect, promote and improve the health and future of the Ottawa River and its tributaries. Ottawa Riverkeeper works collaboratively to inspire others to take action, to encourage responsible decision making, to hold polluters accountable and to recommend alternative practices and policies to safeguard our local waterways. Ottawa Riverkeeper is a member of Waterkeeper Alliance, an international grassroots organization founded by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Ottawa Riverkeeper is an independent voice for the Ottawa River, providing leadership and inspiration to protect, promote and improve its ecological health and future.
We work collaboratively to:
- Distribute reliable and independent science-based information;
- Promote compliance with standards and protective regulations;
- Raise awareness, educate, empower and inspire action;
- Encourage responsible use of the river for the enjoyment and benefit of all.
We envision an Ottawa River that is clean and healthy, provides safe drinking water, supports a diverse range of species, invites world-class recreation and enables sustainable economic activity. The river is appreciated and recognized for its natural capital and is diligently protected for the well-being of all. Future generations are proud to inherit the Ottawa River, and are motivated and inspired to respect and protect it in perpetuity.
Our Guiding Principles
Science leads our thinking. The decisions we make regarding the river stem from good science produced by expert, independent sources.
Responsibility must be taken. Polluting should have a price, just as stewardship should be rewarded.
Participation is essential. All citizens should have the opportunity to contribute to decisions that affect the health and future of their river.
Every effort counts. By taking small steps to save our river—both as individuals and collectively—we can achieve important positive change.
Water is the thread connecting our communities and our actions. The choices we make and steps we take have consequences for our river, our region and our health.
Rivers reflect the places through which they flow. Healthy rivers reveal well-informed, active and responsible communities.
Strategic Directions of Ottawa Riverkeeper
- Monitor ecological conditions and provide the public and decision-makers with clear science-based information about the health of the river.
- Encourage municipalities to take responsibility for the ecological health of the Ottawa River and make its long-term protection a priority.
- Identify breaches of protective regulations and work to improve laws, policies and practices to safeguard the river.
- Build and maintain organizational capacity to enable Ottawa Riverkeeper to achieve its desired outcomes for the Ottawa River.
Location(s) of Business
2-379 Danforth Avenue,Ottawa,Ontario,Riverkeeper-10-07-2010
Ottawa Riverkeeper, Students on Ice and Alexandra Cousteau are joining up for a special Blue Planet Event
The event in open to the public and will feature dynamic presentations and film clips on critical water issues.